Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Goodbye Gum, Sweet Gum

As many of you know, up until yesterday I had a pack of gum. Now, this wasn't your ordinary pack of chewy delight, it came with the name "Big e Pak" (name and grammar intentional for effective marketing) and had a total of 60 pieces of gum. I bought one before but it was so popular, I decided to get another on Sunday.

Most people might call me weird, a nerd or even (on the occasion) a jerk, but I would like to think of myself as a nice guy. For example, I generously share my wonderfully tasting gum with anyone in the newsroom who would like a piece. Mario (who prefers to be called Reuteger in blogs like these) usually saves everyone the trouble of having to ask me and simply removes the gum from my bag and casually passes it around to everyone, who in turn thank him for his generosity.

You may think it sounds a wonderful time, sharing gum and talking about life, the universe and everything but all that came to a screeching halt yesterday. Mario took the gum from my bag, as usual, and passed it around to everyone who wanted some delicious flavor.
Julie had gotten herself a piece and tossed the pack to the intern. During it's mid-air flight, the pilot of the "Big e Pak" hit some turbulence and announced they were going down and all passengers should jump from the confines of the plastic pack and take their chances free-falling to the ground. Like complient sheep all 50+ pieces of gum remaining, burst through the opening and spilled out all over the ground.
Many around the room chuckled and laughed... but they couldn't feel the pain welling up inside of me. They were so young, I didn't even get to chew on all of them and put them back for my unsuspecting coworkers.


(Spearmint August 17 - August 19, 2008)


Though our time together may have been brief, I will never forget the tragedy of my latest "Big e Pak." We had become close over the past two days, I even named it. Spearmint.
Goodbye dear Spearmint. We will miss you.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

It truly was a tragedy. I'm am shocked - SHOCKED - that Julie would be so wreckless with your beloved gum.

And you should tell Mario to keep his Mitts Romney out of your bag. Jerk.

Julie said...

Rub it in. You are all jerks. I felt horrible about this incident. I plan on buying you a new one but I'm still so sad that I can't bring myself to visit the gum aisle of the store yet. The pain is still too fresh. Phil, you left out the part about how remorseful I was. I got all teary-eyed. I feel awful. Now I feel worse. Thanks.

Filburt said...

Oh that's right! Julie was all remorseful and sad and stuff... through the laughter.