Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Confessions of a NW side Salon

As many of you may or may not know, I am engaged to be married. Thank you in advance for all the congratulatory wishes.
Come to find out, there is a price to pay when planing a wedding, which is money. Unfortunately, no one is truly in a position to pay for the type of wedding that Lydia and I want. We have people literally flying from the other side of the world to attend the celebration.
That being said, we want to do an in-style wedding where people feel they got their monies worth for the price of admission (transportation and possible lodging.)
Therefore, the wedding we are planning, I would say for the price tag, is a good deal.
But let's return to topic of money. There is no one on either side of the family who can help pay for the extravaganza...No one, except for me.
I am currently in possession of three different jobs. The first is my primary job at a local TV station, the second is working at a Northwest side salon as a part-time receptionist and the third and last is working for a company called Games2U. To put it simply, it is a party brought to your doorstep. Hamster balls, laser tag, booger wars (like dodge ball) and two large trucks capable of engaging 30+ people in movies, and/or video games. If you've never heard of them, check them out www.g2u.com
Thankfully, these three jobs are varied enough they keep things fresh. The combination of them should earn me enough in the 17 months to have the wedding paid for and maybe erase some debt. They each have their own perks and their own complications, but I would not trade in a single one of these jobs.
I am currently working at the salon.
It is quiet now and I have the urge to write about where I am, being as it's been a very long time since my last entry. With the salon, I find a bit of free time and feel compelled to start reading and writing again.
I've already forgotten how to do one of them, so finishing this blog will be a bit of a challenge.
There are all kinds of interesting conversations that happen in a salon. Actually, "interesting" is not the word I would use, I don't find them interesting in the least. They are at least gossip and I hear that gossip is all the rage right now.
Like the creepy man who hits on everyt
hing, including the lamp in the corner, or the woman having an affair with her husband's co-worker, there is always a story. Why people feel compelled to share this information in a salon is beyond me. Is a stylist like a bartender? Is it therapeutic to confess all your sins to a burly man named Bubba-Joe who wears a shirt with the sleeves ripped off to show his "I heart mom" tattoo and serves a mean gin and tonic? Or Gabby who doesn't necessarily care about your troubles at home, but will pretend to while she cuts your hair? Is that better than a priest and a confessional booth?
Now I have never worked in a bar but I am a frequent visitor. The good news is that I am in a salon and there is no better time to answer this question. I have my pen and paper ready and will start writing down all little tid-bits of information I come across that could make for good/entertaining/slightly disturbing stories.
Any if I don't find any stories worth posting, at least I'm here earning money for my wedding, I killed half an hour writing this, and you lost 5 minutes of your life reading it.
Phil

No comments: